Texas is nestled in the foothills of the great dividing range between Stanthorpe and Goondiwindi on the Queensland and New South Wales border. The Dumaresq River close to the town defines the border and is a popular camping and fishing location.
Modern Texas has a clean and fresh feel with easy access via modern footpaths to a diverse range of businesses and facilities in the CBD which is enhanced with strategic plantings of greenery.
The region was opened up to new settlement by botanist and explorer Allan Cunningham in 1827. Livestock, wool, dairying, sawmilling, mining, tobacco, farming, irrigation, hunting and camping are all part of the DNA of the district.
Why is it called Texas?
Around 1840 the McDougall Brothers settled on land where Texas Station is now situated. The brother’s abandoned their land in the 1850’s to try their luck on the goldfields. When they returned they found another settler had taken over their land. It was some time before the McDougall’s re-established their ownership. In 1936 Texas US was at war with Mexico, fighting for their independence, so the McDougall’s called their property ‘Texas’ as their dispute was similar.
This song from Lee’s Electric Rodeo album was launched in Texas in 2002 at the Royal Hotel (Now the Stockman Hotel). Lee still sings this upbeat number at the conclusion of many of his concerts to this day. Photo opportunities exist in front of the Big Sign in the Apex Park or at the entrance to the Texas Post Office. Ford’s Family Store is a great place to visit to take in some Lee Kernaghan memorabilia collected by ‘major fan’ Troy Hofmeier. If you click on the Image of Lee, it will take you to his live concert singing “Texas QLD 4385”
Stay, relax and unwind and enjoy a few days exploring Texas and district. The town is well positioned for travellers to launch from into their next adventure – north-east-south-west…
- Prior to the arrival of Europeans the area was home to the Bigambul Aboriginal people.
- In 1840 J. McDougall and his brother took up land in the area and named it Cullybullan.
- McDougall renamed his property Texas in 1843.
- In 1868 George Myles was appointed Sheep Inspector and border customs officer.
- By the 1870s tobacco was being grown in the area.
- In 1875 the large land holdings were resumed for free selection. That same year the town was surveyed.
- In 1876 the town had a tobacco factory.
- By 1886 Texas was described as “the town only exists on paper” and describes it as a hotel, a store, a few cottages and the factory.
- In 1890, the day before a devastating flood, the Police Barracks were opened.
- The famous flood of 28 March 1890 wiped out the tobacco factory and the town. The town moved 2 km north to higher ground.
- In 1893 the Silver Spur mine was opened.
- A cheese factory was opened in 1909.
- The cheese factory became a butter factory in 1912.
- A town hospital was opened in 1913. That year saw the Silver Spur mine close down.
- A serious flood raged through the town in 1921. Once again parts of the town were forced to move.
- Soldier settlers moved into the area in the 1920s.
- In 1928, as a result of a rabbit infestation of the district, the Texas Rabbit Works were opened.
- A branch railway line from Inglewood opened in 1930.
- By the 1950s around 25% of all tobacco grown in Australia came from Texas.
- In 1956 another major flood occurred.
- Commercial hotel destroyed by fire in 1969.
- Town sewerage was installed 1969-1970.
- A new Police Station was opened in 1971.
- By 1993 less than 1% of the country’s tobacco was being grown around the town.
- The railway to the town was closed in 1994. That year saw the last of the tobacco grown in the area.
- A library was opened in the town in 2010. In February, 2011 the town was again hit by serious floods.